Saturday, August 26, 2006

Autorickshaw driver from Kerala to run 1,000 km to enter Limca Book

A 26-year-old man in Kerala is preparing to run a thousand kilometres to secure a place in the Limca Book of Records.

R.S. Vinod, a winner of several middle distance and long distance races at state and national levels, hopes to cover the distance in 15-20 days.

Vinod, who trained to drive an autorickshaw, told IANS: "I have won awards and taken part in three national athletic meets, but I have to still drive an autorickshaw (to earn my livelihood)."

"This 1000-km run is yet another effort to draw the attention of the authorities who I hope will give me a job," Vinod said.

The going may not been easy for Vinod. Although he has received a confirmation from Limca for recording his run he is yet to find a sponsor who can give him Rs. 100,000.

Vinod needs the money to appoint observers who will track the run.

"I plan to run about 75 km to 100 km everyday. The run will commence from Parasala here which is on the Kerala-Tamil Nadu border and end at Mysore in Karnataka.

"If I find a sponsor I am prepared to run from Thiruvananthapuram to New Delhi - a distance of 3,200 km. I plan to cover the distance in 90 to 125 days. In a trial I ran 243 km in two days," Vinod added.

Vinod, who earlier undertook a weeklong fast to draw the attention of the government on his plight, may just find a saviour in Paniyan Ravindran, an MP.

"I'll see what I can do to help Vinod," Ravindran said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home